Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: approx 25 minutes
A tomato based curry with delicate spices and a hint of cinnamon. Just add 300g chicken and two medium sized potatoes for a traditional curry that will serve four people. If you prefer a vegetarian option, you can experiment with your favourite vegetables, such as courgettes, broccoli, mushrooms, peas, sweetcorn, carrots...the list goes on!
Our Spiced Tomato Curry is quite a light curry, its consistency is close to gravy or soup, but its aromatic flavour will bring your meal to life! However, if you want to thicken it up you could mash the potato, or leave the lid off to let the water reduce.
When we were young this was often served as a starter with warm, fresh bread. These days, we have it at home on basmati rice with naan bread, sometimes with saag aloo, or a bit of mango chutney.
Spiced Tomato Curry (serves 4)
- Lightly fry the contents of the spice kit in one tablespoon of ghee (or oil) for two minutes.
- If using chicken, add 300g and brown with the spice.
- Stir in 400g of chopped tomatoes (blended if preferred).
- Add 300ml of boiling water and if desired, add a chopped, par-boiled large potato.
- Leave to simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Vegeterian option: Replace chicken with your choice of vegetables and add during step 4.
Onion, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, ginger, chilli powder, salt, cardamom